08 Apr Piña Colada Blondies
FACT #1. I don’t own a ruler. I haven’t since 8th grade geometry. This means, that my blondies will never be perfectly sectioned into 2-inch squares. My photos will always feel just sliiiiightly off-kilter. But really, even if I did own a ruler I likely wouldn’t have the patience for perfectly portioned squares because, if we’re being real, who actually waits for their blondies to cool enough to cut before digging in? My stomach says nobody. My pink, scorched fingertips are conclusive evidence. Dig in, y’all.
I just felt like I needed to air that out.
FACT #2: I’M GOING ON VACATION. 🙌👙☀️🐠🍹⛵️
One week. Me. My bikini. My boo. Wavy beach hair. A fat stack of books. And la playa. Let’s do this thing.
If you come around often(ish), you may have at some point thought that the butterlusting has slowed down quite a bit lately, and you’d be correct. Life has gotten mighty busy around here, not necessarily in a bad way, just more of a holy shit where do the hours go? kind of way. Day jobs pick up, blog time slows…all I know is I’m ready for some mad chillaxin’.
To be completely honest, over the last six months, I spread myself too thinly. I became overwhelmed. Working all day and freelancing (blogging) all night isn’t sustainable. (To those of you who can pull it off sanely, respect.)
So, I pulled away to focus on the important things. Things like slow Saturdays spent lazily biking around town with my man person, enjoying this city that I so often take for granted. Sundays spent amongst wildflowers with my gals, hatching life plans over sauvy b; a few hours nestled in the Texas Hill Country in effort to fend off the chaos of the work week ahead.
But guys, V A C A T I O N. I know it’s not a cure-all, but I’m hoping that I’ll come back refreshed and inspired, ready to jump back into my day job, but also into this space. Into the oven. Into that creative groove where I find myself so blissfully happy.
But even in times of craziness the oven is never far away, and that’s why today we’ve got blondies. Since I can’t clink 🍹piña colada glasses🍹 with each and every one you on the beaches of Mexico, I made you blondies. Simple, buttery, chewy, vacation-inspired, freaking delicious Piña Colada Blondies. Loaded with chunks of dried pineapple and shredded coconut, spiked with rum flavor and studded with crunchy chunks of macadamia nuts — these guys are where it’s at. Make them, bake them, ENJOY. ✌️
And if you want to follow along for all of the real piña coladas, follow me on the Gramz. I fully intend on day-drinking 75% of the time so I apologize for all of the awesomeness in advance. (But good news, I will definitely not be asking you to add yet another alert to your phone. Thanks, Facebook.)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup white chocolate chip, plus more more sprinkling
- 3/4 cup dried pineapple pieces, chopped, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/4 cup macadamia nuts (I used a lightly salted version)
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a 8x8 baking dish with foil or parchment paper and lightly grease. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the melted butter and brown sugar until well mixed. Add in the eggs and extracts and mix until well incorporated.
- Fold in the dry ingredients, being careful not to over mix. When the dry ingredients are almost completely incorporated, add the white chocolate chips, pineapple and coconut and fold to evenly distribute.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and use a spatula to smooth into an even layer. Sprinkle over more white chocolate chips, pineapple, coconut and the macadamia nuts.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and firm. Let cool completely before cutting.